In the spring of 2002, New Hanover County undertook the relocation of Mason Inlet in order to preserve upland structures at the north end of Wrightsville Beach. The Inlet was moved 3,000 feet north of its January 2002 position. The project resulted in the closure of the old inlet and nourishment of nearly 2 miles of beachfront on Figure "8" Island to the north. GBA of NC, PLLC is retained as the coastal engineer for New Hanover County to monitor and manage the relocated Mason Inlet. Our responsibilities on this project include providing engineering and surveying services to implement the County's long-term inlet management plan. We have been responsible for performing physical monitoring surveys of the inlet to evaluate the performance of the inlet, impacts to various estuarine habitats, and to determine when required maintenance events should occur. GBA of NC, PLLC has prepared the permits, plans, specifications, and negotiated the contracts with dredging firms, as well as provided construction supervision for three AIWW maintenance projects and for the County's 10.7-acre wetland mitigation site. GBA is currently in the process of designing, permitting a maintenance event on the inlet, which will include dredging within the inlet channel and nourishment of the adjacent beaches.
- Monitor and Manage the Relocated Inlet.
- Provide Engineering and Surveying Services to Implement the County's Long-Term Inlet Management Plan.
- Perform Physical Monitoring Surveys of the Inlet to Evaluate Inlet Performance.
- Provided Design, Contracting, and Construction Management for the County's 10.7-acre Wetland Mitigation Site, Involving Excavation of 100,000 Cy of Material From a Retired Usace Disposal Site, Nourishment of 2,000 Feet of Beach on Figure "8" Island and Grading of the Site to Elevation Suitable for Intertidal Marsh Planting.
- Prepare the Permit Applications, Plans, Specifications; Negotiate the Contract with the Dredging Firm and Provide Construction Supervision for Subsequent Maintenance Events.
New Hanover County
280 Market Place Drive, Suite 160
Wilmington, NC 28403