As project managers, GBA led a design team of 8 firms to conduct environmental studies, preliminary coastal & dredging engineering concepts, and prepare a final coastal engineering design with construction plans, specifications, and cost estimates for the restoration and environmental enhancement of approximately 1,110 acres at Poplar Island in the Chesapeake Bay. This project beneficially uses dredged material from the navigation channels of the Chesapeake Bay to create a combination of wetland and upland habitat. Work managed and performed by GBA included studies, evaluation, and design of 37,000 feet of rock protected sand dike; bathymetric and topographic surveys and sub-bottom profiling; geotechnical investigations including borings, sampling, laboratory testing, and analysis of data; environmental assessment surveying to meet NEPA guidelines, including sediment quality, water quality, aquatic ecology, terrestrial ecology, and shellfish; participation in hearing presentations; environmental assessment reporting; cultural assessments, as well as terrestrial and marine archeological investigations; preparation of planting and seeding schedules and plans; engineering analysis of three alternative site layouts, and a final design of the selected layout. Plans and specifications were transferred to CENAB for review, bidding, and construction.
During construction (done in two phases), GBA was retained by MPA to provide construction oversight and inspection. GBA created a database to track construction progress, payment, and the quality of work. The data collected focused on critical construction issues. GBA attended weekly site progress meetings and reviewed the contractor's construction schedules, quality control reports, site survey data, and requests for partial payment.
- Recommendations for Dredged Material Placement and Management.
- Wetland Construction.
- QA/QC for Dredged Material Sampling for Consolidation Estimates.
- Hydrodynamic Modeling for Wetland Cells.
- Calculating Estimated Capacities Within Each Cell.
- Coastal America 2003 Partnership Award for GBA's efforts in the Poplar Island Environmental Restoration Project
- The American Council of Engineering Companies 2004 Achievement Award for innovative excellence in engineering design
- MPA 2004 Maritime Business of the Year and received the National Association of Environmental Professionals 2006 National Environmental Excellence Award
Maryland Port Administration
401 E. Pratt St., Suite 1900
World Trade Center
Baltimore, MD 21202